Tuesday 5 June 2012

Maria Kyprianou



I work with movement and colour.
Music plays and important role in my work, mainly because of my experience and background with classical music. I enjoy creating visual interpretations of musical sounds. The bass, the rhythm and the melody of a song is what I try to illustrate visually using colour combinations and abstract shapes. I find a strong connection between musical and visual composition, the variety of mixtures and the effects you can get.





















I’ve been directing video clips during the past two years, which includes two music video clips, one advert for the BBC’s 75th anniversary and one promotional video clip for the positive effects of 40’s music to the listeners. This gave me a lot of confidence when it comes to manipulating the camera. Zooming, focusing, changing angles, blinking the lights are some of the methods I became accustomed with in order to communicate a message, whether that is the lyrics of a song or company logo. 




























I’ve always enjoyed working in the studio. Interacting with people on a regular basis motivates and excites me. I always try to keep an open mind when it comes to learning new methods that are not necessarily related to the world of ‘Illustration’. During the past two years, I’ve been working with Stop Motion Animation, Frame by Frame Animation, Schlieren photography, Cyanotype Photohraphy and Drawn-on-Film Animation.

Music Video I made for my 2nd year university project. Stop Motion animation, music by Magnetic Man – Getting Nowhere.











Here’s a sneak peak of my music video for the Final Degree Show on the 7th of June. Music by the XX – Heart Skipped a Beat








I’ve been taking part in the Art and Science Collaborative Project, BROADVISION 2012.                                        The project gave me the opportunity to get to know the science disciplines of the university, interact with different people and use various facilities including imaging science, photography etc and I’m proud to say that I now know how to use the microscope! My final work is based on colour patterns coming from printing ink pixels under the microscope.

After I graduate I hope to continue developing my moving image. I’d like to collaborate with musicians and photographers to create new ways of experiencing music visually and gain more experience and technical skills in animation. 

Check out more of my work HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment